Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Week 6 Day 5

My morning Bible study lesson touched me this morning so much, that I began to cry. (more than a few tears!) I guess I just think of my Nana when I read this. Song of Songs 2:10-11 My lover spoke and said to me, arise my darling, my beautiful one; and come with me. See! the winter is past and rains are over and gone. Beth then went on to tell a story of a 90 year old woman. Her family was throwing her a surprise party. I am just going to copy the last 2 paragraphs! :) The youngest great-grandchild grabbed her by the hand. "come on, Mammie! It's time to blow out your candles". She grinned and asked God to help her keep her teeth in. Time suddenly seemed to freeze. She looked around the room and studied the faces. Life had been good--painful at times, but God had always been faithful. She had been a widow for 23 years. Her last years had been pleasant. Her family made sure of that. But she grew less and less able to participate. She found herself mostly just watching life. .....Later she sat at her old vanity as her daughter-in-law tenderly took the pins from her wispy, white hair. She stared in the yellowed mirror. When had she gotten so old? Where had the years gone? Her daughter-in-law brushed the strands gently, chattering incessantly about the evening. As she helped her with her gown and tucked her in, the old woman felt so weary. Her body hurt just to lie down. The soft mattress seemed to swallow her frame. She rested her slight weight and stared at the stars out the window. She heard the familiar sound of the 10:00 train going over the bridge and nearly shivered as she remembered her baptism in those cold waters underneath. She smiled and voiced a good night prayer to the Savior she had loved since childhood. She didn't say much. "Thank you, Jesus, Thank you." Almost before she could close her eyes, deep sleep overtook her. Suddenly, her slumber was startled by the most beautiful voice she had ever heard, coming from a man standing over her. "Arise my darling, my beautiful one, and come with me. See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone....the season of singing has come." Beauty instead of ashes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a very touching story. thanks for sharing! I need to find a Beth Moore book to read! I looked at them the other day when I was in Abilene but couldn't decide on one.