Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Tears of resentment turn into tears of sorrow and joy...

As a young Marine wife, when Zach first deployed in 2003 it was very hard on me.  Not just your typical hard, like I was just sad, I was down right mad!  Bitter even.  When I would see women who had their husbands home I was very resentful, it made me sick to my stomach.  I hated seeing all of the "welcome home" signs strung up everywhere announcing to the world, their husbands were coming home. 
That was then.... Now, when I see a woman walking hand in hand with her Marine who has just come home, it warms my heart.  When I see a Mother with her children hanging up banners to welcome their "daddy" home, I smile.  And when the news comes that a friends husband has received the feared news of deployment, my heart goes out to her.  I am sad for her and her family.  I feel her pain and know how difficult the future months will be alone, most of the time, far away from family and the comforts of "home".   Recently I have known of both sides of the story, and have felt both of the extreme emotions of being so very sad that a friends husband is leaving , and also sharing in the excitment of a family reunited. 
When you say a prayer for our troops, say another one for the wives.  Pray that they (especially the very young wives) do not become bitter, and that someday they can find the joy in sharing the roller coaster ride of emotions that come along with being a military spouse.

One upside of Zach being deployed  --   The two loads of laundry that have been sitting on the couch since Monday....can sit there till Sunday, and no one will ever say a word! ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading that. I think you learn so much more about the military when you are actually living on base and "bond" with all the other military families!!!!