Last weekend we drove about an hour to Beaufort, NC for the Pirate Invasion.
I clipped the following from their website to provide the history of the event.
On June 14 of 1747 several Spanish privateers (privately owned warships with a government sponsored license to attack enemy shipping) from St. Augustine entered Beaufort harbor and made off with several small ships. At the time, a militia of only 13 men were posted in the town to protect the area. The Spanish easily escaped.
Only two months later on August 26, the Spanish privateers reappeared. This time, their intention was to take the town. Major Enoch Ward and fifty-eight militiamen responded but were driven from the town. The citizens fled leaving behind everything for the privateers to pillage.
Three days later Colonel Thomas Lovick and Major Ward had collected more men and counterattacked, driving the Spanish out. It is said that without the help of close to 100 farmers and locals, the militia may not have prevailed.
Local folklore suggests that several Spaniards died and were buried in the Old Burying Grounds, also known as Queen Anne's Cemetery.
The Beaufort Pirate Invasion is an annual event sponsored by The Beaufort Business Association to highlight this unique historical event.
Despite the heat, we all had a great time and learned a LOT about “Pirate Life”!
Playing a mandolin on the front porch of the Leffer house! (I had a hard time reading the print because until we passed by on our way home, I thought it said LePPer’s)
A couple of Pirates walking up the street.
Bode’s “Sour Cream Moment”
Zach’s “Sour Cream Moment”
My “Sour Cream Moment”
Tate’s “Sour Cream Moment”
Sometimes, holding Mom’s hand can make it better :-) (This was a “Butter-melting Moment” for me!)
The shot that started the parade down to the waterfront where the Pirate ships were getting ready to port.
Quite the view! They were ringing bells with their fingers in the parade!
Incase you were wondering about the view from the front! (I had to run ahead to get this picture! LOL!)
And since I had to RUN….I took 2!
Watching, from a distance, the re-enactment.
Waiting on the ships to come in…getting VERY hot.
I realize that some people might not take pictures inside an old burying ground. I am not one of those people. (We did not disrespect any of the graves.)
Bode was a little bothered by the writing on the bottom of this tombstone. “She is not dead, but sleepeth” We got into a good conversation about her BODY being dead, but her SOUL sleeping until Jesus’ return. :-)
I absolutely LOVE the word darling.
I wish I would’ve taken the time to better focus the text in this picture, but Zach was getting a bit freaked out by me taking pictures in the burying ground. (He is one of THOSE people.)
I often like to relate emotions to dairy products!
*A “Sour Cream Moment” is really self explanatory. It’s the moment someone’s cream starts to sour. *
There are also “Whipped Cream Moments” but I didn’t focus on those in this post! ;-)
5 comments:
You Absolutely Absolutely CRACK Me UP!!!!! Relating to dairy prouducts??? That's a new one!!! HaHaHa!!!!! So Funny!!!!!
I love all the pictures and loved reading about the history. I also loved the burial ground pictures. We have a Mortician in our family...Of course we are "allowed" to take pictures of tombstones!!!! OK..I could go on and on about this post...but instead..I think I'll just go back and reread it one more time for some entertainment!!!
I love you.
MOM
I relate a lot (in my mind) to dairy products...I think of getting older being like milk curdling... or alfredo being like fireworks. LOL! Glad you got to see the pictures! Love you!
Alfredo? My brain must be curdling because I don't get it!! Help Me! Stir Fast before I turn to cottage cheese!!! LOL!!!!
I agree with your mom. I'm going to have to go back and view this all again! I wish there was a comment button on some of the pics because I had many. I LOVE Tate's shirt: One of a Kind. Enjoyed looking at all the pics!!! I'm thinking those were pirate belly dancers! That SOOOO cracks me up that you ran ahead to get their pics from the front!!! You're right!!! I was wondering about that....lol. Thank YOU so much for sharing your day with me! I love reading about what's going on with you and your family!!! Love YOU!!!
That is so stinking fun! MICHELLE! I love you pictures and you all look so happy. What a fun event!
Post a Comment